Sunday, March 21, 2010
High Marks Meat loaf
High Marks Meatloaf:
Notes: This loaf is full of flavor and was devoured by four grown adults with gusto.
1.5 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced raw mushrooms
1/4 cup raisins microwaved in 1/4 cup of water on low for 20 seconds. Retain the water.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small cup of all natural applesauce
1/8 cup water
Heinz organic ketchup
zest of one orange
1/8 cup dried parsley
1 tsp. ground chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp. TJ's garlic powder
1 tsp. TJ's red chili pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
white pepper (to taste)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Soak your oats in the applesauce, olive oil and raisin water.
3. In a large bowl, add all your mix-ins to your meat, gently mixing until all are loosely combined.
4. Sprinkle on your seasoning and mix into your meatloaf mixture.
5. Line a large glass oven safe dish with foil.
6. Place your mixture in the dish and gently forming a shallow loaf. Flatten to shorten the cooking time. If your loaf is taller it make take longer to cook.
7. Squirt some ketchup in a fun design if you are feeling crafty or just spread it over the top, this makes for a tasty finish. It creates a kind of tomato-ey glaze.
8. Place your dish in the hot oven and cook until done, approximately 35-45 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!