Friday, March 19, 2010

Banana Nut Yogurt Bread


When life gives you bananas, you make bread. I realized that my bananas were almost too ripe to just eat so I decided to give the Banana nut bread recipe on page 584 in the "America's Test Kitchen Family Recipes" book a try. Instead of starting with three bananas, I had two. Because of this, I added an additional 1/4 cup of yogurt. I did not use a spatula to mix the batter, instead I used a whisk. I also added 4 egg whites, why? because I had them in the refrigerator and they needed to be used. They called for unsalted butter, I left it out. I added a tablespoon of cinnamon to balance the sweetness of the fruit.

Why? Cause I forgot it in the microwave.

I poured the batter into two 9 x 5 pans, roughly evenly. In one I mixed in walnuts and in the other some slivered almonds I had sitting around. The recipe calls for one pan. Because of the two pans I reduced the amount of time in the oven to 35 minutes and it was just right. They came out beautifully. They made the house smell so good. Its a pity I'm on a diet and these are not gluten free. I baked them for my brother. Also, I baked them to use up those bananas. I hate to be wasteful.

Tip: Always be sure your eggs are room temperature. You can get them warm by filling a small bowl with hot tap water and putting the eggs in. They won't become hard boiled, I promise.

For a full copy of the recipe buy a copy of "America's Test Kitchen Family Recipes." Its a great big binder full of recipes and it has lots of cooking tips. It was a Christmas present several years ago and I use it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment